Sunday, January 13, 2019

A Sense Of Peace

     Yesterday we said goodbye to our nephew Cole. We had been interim parents to him and when we brought him into our house we didn't know exactly how long we would be in that role. Anytime anyone enters and lives in your home it is a huge adjustment for all. You each have to learn what each others "normals" are and create a new "normal" together. Having him here was a huge adjustment for me especially as I was already going through another major adjustment bringing a new baby home just four months previous. It stretched me. Kids are by nature selfish. They need to learn awareness of others and especially of those that take care of them. You can take it from a newborn. It's expected. Being thrown into being a parent of a nine year old who has not had the most stable home environment since birth is another thing entirely. Any break I might have had from taking care of my baby and my three year old was filled with a chatty nine year old. I need lots of quiet. I'm an introvert. He was/is an extreme extrovert and thrives off of interaction. It was a lot of laying down of self. It created dynamics that didn't previously exist in my home. Big Boy D was already processing a whole bunch of jealousy with a new baby in the house. He was massively jealous/crazy when Cole came. It was a constant battle of wills and patience trying to get him to understand that he was still special but the world didn't revolve around him. That is a lot for a three year old who has had Mom and Dad to himself for three years of existence to learn!

     That chapter is closed now and though I love him with my whole heart I feel a renewed sense of peace in my home. We can work on our normal again.

     This morning was spent moving bedroom furniture from Cole's room to Darrell's while making a Happy Birthday phone call to my Mom. I put baby girl down for a nap then prepared and cooked a whole chicken with roasted veggies. The house smells wonderful. When baby girl woke up we went outside and kicked a ball around with Big Boy then came back in. They both went down for another nap! I processed the chicken and started boiling the bones for some bone broth then started journaling.

     Big Boy woke up and Daddy and him are playing table hockey with a milk top. It's an exciting life we lead here ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment