Friday, March 14, 2014

Date night



     Yesterday was one of those blue and sunny patches of sky in the middle of an otherwise whitely greyish normal week. I was starving for a break from the cloudy monotony. Do this and repeat and repeat till you fall asleep. When Wubs looked at me and suggested we go to Subway and have Subs for dinner I got excited folks. “Yay!! A night out”…I quickly labeled it a date night in my head and then he tried inviting one of our roomies. She said no and I began saying again in my head, “Yay!! Date night.” Wubs slowly pulled off his work boots and described how his feet hurt all day and he couldn’t figure out why only to discover when he pulled out his special squishy insoles he had placed the right one in the left shoe and visa versa. I laughed and said, “Somebody was tired this morning.” We laughed and he asked if it would be weird if he wore his slippers out. I said, “No, let’s both wear our slippers and live like we don’t care.” It made my heart happy so I took a pic of our slipper-fied feetsies…after Wubs’s normal “shuffling” around we finally left our house to get to our Sub-y retreat. 

     Pulling in we saw a new restaurant right next to Subway. Mediterranean Grill. It was all shiny and new and inviting and then the aroma of Shish Kabobs wafted past our nose and we both decided immediately that the scent was more appealing than a Sub. It was a date so I felt justified in spending a little more money. We looked over the menu and decided to order hummus and split one of their bigger entrées. Andrew immediately got busy on his phone.
Me: “What are you doing?”
Wubs:  “I’m texting PJ and Robbin to see if they want to meet us here.”
 They’re our pastors and PJ grew up in Israel and has a thing for this type of food.
Me: Finally voicing my mental thoughts, “This is a date.”
Wubs: “Sorry I didn’t know.”
Me: “Quite trying to invite people to my ‘us’ time.”
Wubs: “Sorry!” said with a knowing laugh that understands how different we are from each other. He gets energized around people and I get drained.
     The waitress came to take our drink order and I decided to risk it and try their chai tea…depending on the tea leaves I would either love it or hate it. It’s always a risk ordering tea at a restaurant. This one used loose leaf tea and knew to use boiling water…the result was shall I say…mmmmmmm….
     Then came the food. It smelled so good. Lamb kabobs over curried rice. I haven’t had lamb in a really long time and the chef knew how to make them…Dinner was soooo good. We decided to order dessert. I ordered Baklava and Andrew ordered pistachio ice-cream. I guess he made the ice cream himself there. The waitress said that he had actually gotten standing ovations for this ice cream so naturally I was curious…All the other food had been wonderful so I was expecting great things with this ice-cream. Putting it in my mouth I almost gagged.
     You weren’t expecting that were you? Neither was I! It was awful and tasted like bathroom cleaner and musky perfume. I made motions like I was wiping it out of my mouth (not in site of the chef or waiter, only to Wubs)…He loved it of course. It’s a pretty sure bet when it comes to food that if I don’t like it he will love it. As we were leaving Wubs asked what the special flavor was. “Rose water”…I knew it tasted like a flower…LOL. It’s almost worth going and trying it just to see what your reaction will be. Mine was, “The ice cream was interesting but I will never put it in my mouth again.” I did pick up a package of tea though. He sold it by the box. I have been drinking it for breakfast for the past two days.
     Changing the subject I did finally finish the “Hunger Games” series. It was a very dark plot that did have some sunshine at the end. If nothing else it was a page turner. If you don’t like blood and gore and war don’t read it. It did have a teenage romance interwoven in it. After finishing it I’m not sure the author was trying to make any other profound point than those who don’t know their history are sure to repeat it. It was a story of overcoming at least. I was sure in the middle of it that everyone would be dead by the end. Most were but a few over-came.
     Now I'm reading “The Unarmed Truth” By John Dodson. What is it with me and depressing reads lately. I’m only half way through but it is very sad statement about the corruption that takes place in government agencies. How everything that’s good and right gets devalued by the relentless pursuit of corrupt people wanting power and money. Their poor choices causing hundreds of others to suffer.  The book is infuriating me but I sort of expected it to. Lord this country needs you.








No comments:

Post a Comment