Saturday, March 22, 2014

Green Stuff



     Almost every Christmas and Thanksgiving growing up there was a single dish that was always present. It was usually one of the last things made because it takes very little time and effort but if it was forgotten (gasp!) someone at the table was sure to inquire about its absence. I’m not sure if this is a New York dish or not but I do know for a fact that it is far reaching. When I went on a missions trip to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia my sophomore year of college there was a man there who had grown up in the same area of New York that I had. I have no idea how the topic came up but we found out from each other that holidays were not complete without Green Stuff. I recited the more than simple recipe to him and sure enough…it was the same exact dish.
     My brother and sister in law came to visit us for Christmas. I made a big spread and of course included Green Stuff. Two months previous to Christmas we had decided to rent out two rooms of our house to a single mom and her son. We had known them for years and felt more than comfortable making the choice to let them stay here. Truth be told from my heart I think single moms are the bravest, strongest women I know. It is not an easy gig and this woman has had more than her share of hard knocks. We love their family like family and it only made sense to invite them to our version of Christmas dinner. I made a ton of food but one dish stuck out to my new roomy. You guessed it. Green Stuff.

Green Stuff recipe:
1 can crushed pineapple drained
1 small box Jell-O pistachio instant pudding
1 container of cool whip
Mini marshmallows if desired

      Be sure to drain the crushed pineapple. Pour it in to a mixing bowl and add instant pudding. Stir until well combined. Stir in entire container of cool whip and voila…you have and easy peasy pudding dessert that looks like it came from the lost boys table in Neverland. You can also add some mini marshmallows if you desire but I kind of like the dish better without them.
 
     Since that Christmas dinner momma roomy has been hooked on pistachio pudding. Last week she texted me the recipe for pistachio cream pie and declared boldly that I should make it for her. I laughed knowing she was a green stuff gone-er forever.  It might just be at her Christmas dinner table next year. Who knows?  Momma roomy and teenage son are moving out next weekend. I figured this weekend was a perfect time to make her green pie. I found a recipe and went for it. 

     Wubs declared when he took a bite, “Wow. That is really really good.” It must be if he said that. He rarely likes anything other than meat and potatoes. I halved the recipe and used ground almonds instead of the recommended pecans. I think the almonds in the crust knocked this recipe out of the park. It was good but my newly sprouting health food brain doesn’t really appreciate all the processed foods used in the making of the dish. I really have been educating myself more and more lately about what I put in my mouth. Needless to say I shut that part of my brain off at least for today and enjoyed a few mouthfuls of green and white puddingy pie.
Mr. Boo had to try it too of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment