Thursday, February 20, 2014

Wubs's Daily Grind



    Wubs crawled in bed around 10:30 or 11:00 Tuesday night after he got home from class. He gets up at 5am and leaves the house by 5:30. He has to be at his job site a couple cities over by seven. I think he gets there and sets up all the journeymen for the day. Not because he has to mind you but because he’s himself and doesn’t like his work interrupted by journeymen constantly asking for his assistance. It has been a long climb for him and I admire him for his dedication. The apprenticeship seems more like a pecking order than an opportunity for growth. Despite his positive nature I can see the wear on him and it makes me sad. He was telling me how another journeymen asked how old he was and was shocked. He has a baby face so people think he is a lot younger than he really is. His co-workers are even more shocked to learn that he is already a journeymen.
     My husband is a strange bird in the local 209. He was given journeyman status on the metal trade side but pushed to get into the pipe-fitters apprenticeship because you could make better money pipe-fitting and he wanted to learn. He loves to learn and is always asking questions if he doesn’t understand something. So apprenticeship it was. His whole goal has been a family and I can see his earnest desire is to be a good provider…to the point that I feel sad he is working so hard sometimes. When you live with someone you get to see how things really affect them. I know he is more tired than he lets on. There is a telling sign that gives him away every time.
     Snores.
     These bass-chested beasties already shake the rafters but intensify when Wubs is exhausted. I must fall asleep first or relocate if I want to catch any shut eye. It’s funny but it’s also not so funny because I know when he gets like that, he probably needs more rest than he’s getting.
    He leaves work at 3:30 and doesn’t have time to stop at home before he has to be at class by 6pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is enough time to stop and get some dinner in and then it’s three hours of class…tonight he has a test.
     Now, the hall has decided that none of the students can leave the classroom until exactly nine o’clock.  They used to be able to stagger dismissal so it didn’t create a bottle neck of vacating cars through the tiny gated exit. This means that he has to sit in the parking lot while everyone figures out how they are going to get out in an orderly fashion. He usually doesn’t get home until 10:15.
     Then he takes a little time to wind down and ends up crashing mid-how-was-your-day-conversation somewhere around 11 or so only to get up in six hours and do it all again.  
     Also, in the middle of all this he is a type 1 diabetic. Diabetes runs in his family unfortunately.  He’ll wake up at least once a week with low blood sugar. He goes downstairs and eats a bowl of cereal or a granola bar to get his sugars up. It wreaks havoc on his ability to get proper sleep.
     I just watch and try not to worry.
     I love this man and it makes me sad when I can’t help. There is nothing I can do but make sure he has good meals when he comes home and stuff to take for healthy lunches. Other than that all I can do is watch.
     He is going to make a great dad…when that day comes. I feel like we kept putting off having a child because of fears and apprehensions over money. We had / have a plan to be and stay in a home.  When we were first married one of our pastors prayed for us and said he saw a sentence over us (wubs and I) that read “when we have the money… “He told us that He felt like God wanted us to remove that from our thinking and that we would be a couple that financed the kingdom. That we would have checks coming in the mail…
     It’s now four years later and I’m not sure if that sentence really has been removed from my way of thinking. I can’t speak for Andrew but when it comes to me…I can make myself sick with worry about how we will afford everything. It’s so stupid that I do that because there have been so many miracles that have brought us to where we are today…absolute miracles… You think I would have this one licked but man o man, it sneaks up on me and I find myself in this funk of not trusting God will provide, again!!
      That’s why we are trying now to have a baby. Even though I still don’t feel ready I’m pretty sure I never will. God please deal with this fear in me and help me know you as God my provider. Forgive me for not trusting You again.
Scriptures because I need the reminder:
Philippians 4:19
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Matthew 6: 31- 32
Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
Matthew 7:11
If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

     Another one of those odd coincidence / miracle (?) things is happening this weekend…Saturday we are going out to dinner with the second in command of Wubs’s company.  I’m kind of wondering what God is up to. This man is a Christian (ya-hoo). He is not married.  When Andrew went to his company Christmas party this year he saw that this man’s date was one of my co-workers…an oh so sweet precious woman who deserves a really good man…(side note…I really hope this guy works out for her)…I asked if she was at the Wubs’s company party when I saw her at work on Monday and she confirmed it was her…small world! I guess her boy-friend found out that we knew his girl-friend and wanted to go on a double date which I think is really sweet. So we planned that date for this Saturday…
     I’ll let you know how it goes.

In other news I made these:




And these:



Kitty kept photo bombing my pics...




Group photo:






     Our nephew William is having a scout bake sale…Are these too fancy for a scout bake sale? They are what was asked for but they're pretty enough for a wedding...yup! I made Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Butter Cream

It’s my first time using the actual bean…yummm…

     The beans themselves sort of smelled like a church basement...Don't ask me why but when I opened the bag it brought me back to visiting my mom's childhood church and the smell of the gathering hall...like a church basement with the coffee freshly brewed...It was not the smell I was expecting but the vanilla bean caviar tasted great once mixed in the cup-cake-i-ness.

Then there’s this basking furry who keeps us daily entertained…I don’t know what’s funnier. The cat or my husband’s running commentary on the cat...There are several videos in an attempt to “keep it clean”…as you will hear, that didn’t happen…









Disturbing nub tail.



No comments:

Post a Comment