Saturday, July 5, 2014

Ground zero



     The aftermath of “boom boom” day… My cats are a little nervous walking around the house. We abandoned them to endure the neighborhood fireworks by themselves. We walked in the door last night and Brewster took off to the back of the house and hid behind a couch, peeking around the corner only when he mustered his pint size courage. Poor kitty. All I can say is at least we don’t live in Washington. In Portland any fireworks that don’t stay on the ground are illegal. Just over the river though…they are definitely not. It sounded like a war zone last night in Andrew’s brother’s little cul-de-sac. When there was a lul in the activity of ours and things got quite for a few minutes in front of us, you could hear action 360 degrees around us. I turned and asked Wubs at one point if the 4th was his favorite holiday. “It’s one of them. That and Christmas.” I told you this country runs in his veins.
     On the drive to his brother’s house this version of the National Anthem was on repeat. Every time the song would start over he’d look at me and grin:

     Then we arrived and He and his brother immediately took off to purchase fire-works. We had agreed not to buy anything this year and we didn’t but we didn’t need too. Man O man does this neighborhood come together for an awesome show. This was what the car load looked like when his brother got back:

And this is a pic of the full bounty just one neighbor and brother had gotten:

I tried to get some of the display on video but think I was off center a bit…but you still get the idea.







     So was that fun or what? Not bad for one friendly neighborhood. It would have been fun flying over Vancouver Washington yesterday. Pretty pretty. I have a thing for stuff that sparkles J
     Then everyone rallied together for the clean up. The cul-de-sac looked like ground zero. This was our trailer when everything was done and it couldn’t fit all the trash in it:


    There was still a big pile in the center of the street. What a mess but it was sure fun making it. I’ve never been directly under fireworks like that before. My face had a layer of grime and as everything was going off and falling you could feel debris hitting you…your foot, your arm, your head, your back…I was picking stuff out of my hair on the drive home. Everyone claimed the night was a success because no one got hurt. I can definitely see why!

And I of course have to share this little one:

She’s our nephew’s pup and oh so adorable:


She was lumping her way through the chairs and tables all day begging for hand-outs and looking oh so patriotic:

I was eating something when all of a sudden this face was shoved in the side of my chair:

She is very compelling. I seriously love that face. 



 






No comments:

Post a Comment