Saturday, July 12, 2014

Mt.Rainier Scenic Railway Anniversary Trip



It’s been six years with this guy:

     He and me did a lil’ celebratory road trippin’ today. The day began early in an attempt to get some food in us before we made the long trek up to the mountain I mentioned in yesterdays post. As we pulled out of the driveway Wubs announced that he was going to take a little detour. He was headed to the car wash. I bent my head into a book as I had just checked a bunch out at the library yesterday and was overly eager to dive into them. Just as the book was about to grab me and suck me in I heard this come over the speakers in the truck: 

    I looked up once I comprehended the sound and looked directly at Wubs and asked, “Are you romancing me?”
A big grin spread across his face as he acknowledged his plan was working.
     I laughed and buried my head back in my book but didn’t comprehend a single letter of what I was reading. All I could think was, “He’s so darn cute and he’s mine.”

     We pulled up here and as you can see, the truck was in some serious need of bug removal. Wubs pulls out a car wash card and hands it over. I asked him where he got the card and he remarked that you could get more car washes at a discount if you bought the cards. He went on to add that he bought one for his truck and one for his work van. After finding out how much these cards cost and getting over the shock I had to laugh because I was reminded in that moment that I got exactly what I asked God for in a husband. Closer to the top of my “what I want in a husband” list every Christian female youth in the nineties was told to make was the phrase “a man who takes care of his stuff and doesn’t take it for granted.” Be careful what you pray for ladies…I laughed again when I realized I couldn’t balk at the price tag. He has worked plenty hard enough to be able to make these kind of non-essential but oh so responsible choices. I love him all the more for making them and find it kind of annoying cute when I discover the things that he does on occasion that perplex me.
     After the truck was all sparkly we made the trek over to IHOP for a yummy big breakfast:


     Then we hit the road, stopping half way there for some iced coffee and making the most of the day. That’s when reality set it. We were racing the clock to be on time and get our tickets and Wubs was in the “I must conquer the road” mode. The iced coffee was meant to be a quick detour but we were literally stuck in a drive-through lane that we couldn’t pull out of for twenty minutes. If time was of minor importance to me, to Wubs it is was a maximum / major importance and we WILL be there by this time. When we finally pulled up to the window it became VERY clear why we had to wait so long. My stress level was rising because someone was throwing off Wubby’s highly developed need to conquer.  We were already behind in the race that ensued in Wubs' head. This barista threw him over the edge. She wanted to know where we were going. She described in detail her boyfriend’s fondness for model airplanes. She mentioned at one point the word “caboose” when we told her we were taking a train ride. Then stopped just after she said it to say to the air, “Wait, is caboose a word? I haven’t used it in a while.” Wubs gave me the look of, “I’m going to do something irrational if I don’t get my damn coffee.” I smiled at the girl and said nothing in the hopes that she would catch on and just focus on making the coffee. She didn’t. She kept going and at this point it has been 25 minutes. She finally hands over the drinks and then hands the card and receipt back on a clip board with a pen so he can sign his receipt. Trouble is, she didn’t use the clippy part of the clip board. Wubby’s debit card went flying and so did the pen and receipt. He was doing his best not to boil over and I was frustrated that he was frustrated which made for more frustration. 
     We finally pulled out and went to get a little gas. In Oregon we don’t fill our own tanks. In Washington we do. Wubs filled his tank whilst still on an emotional high from ditzy coffee lady. He paid and pulled out. We only got a few miles up the road when a warning light went on in the truck cautioning that something was wrong. He had forgotten to put the gas cap back on and left it sitting on the pump. We had to turn around and go back. By that point the invisible race was lost and all the emotions of a loser were coursing through the manly veins of my life partner.
      We did arrived with time to spare only to discover that we needed cash. There was no place in town that dispensed cash. The nearest place was six miles up the road. Wubs was sure we could make it. I was not so convinced. As we were pulling out the train we were supposed to be getting on was pulling in. It made for a little bit of anxiety between us. We made it there and back in time and I swore to myself that next time I would be more prepared.
     All that to clear up any miss information the posting of the Celine Dion song may have sent about the “perfectness” of our marriage. It is not perfect. We bump and annoy and hurt each-other far more often than I’d care to admit. We also forgive and talk through and try to give and take a little when we feel the other needs it. I wouldn’t want to bump along side anyone else. I guess that’s why I married him.
     We got back in time to take this video of the train pulling back up to the platform:
     We boarded and sat in the very last seats in the very last car. Once we were underway I went out the back door and shot this video:
     Then we got off the train to tour their little museum. I took way to much video of Wubs explaining all the train parts to me. I love taking these kinds of trips because it shows me a side of my husband that I don't often see. He has only been on a train once mind you, when he was little, yet he can look at all these train "parts" and machines and tell me how each of them work and different things about them. At the end of our tour he looked at me and said "I think I like coming to museums. It shows me how much my Grandpa actualy taught me."
     I'll probably post some of those videos tomorrow but in the meantime, check out this:

I still wonder at the beauty that surrounds us.

No comments:

Post a Comment